David Exline has more than 20 years of experience in managing and administering analytical laboratory and consulting services. As President of Gateway Analytical, he oversees the company’s day-to-day operations, business growth and service areas.
David’s expertise lies in the pharmaceutical, forensics and materials science and realms, although familiar with analytical practices in many industries.
David has specific expertise in applying chemical imaging methods such as Raman, UV-Vis and NIR techniques to solve the most difficult pharmaceutical and material science problems for our customers. David is adept in numerous pharmaceutical-related services and testing methods including: materials characterization, particulate contamination analysis, particle sizing and high-resolution microscopy.
As a court-qualified expert in the area of trace evidence examination, Davis has instructed law enforcement agencies, attorneys and students in the collection, preservation and examination of various types of trace evidence, including hairs, fibers and paints. David has instructed law enforcement agencies and attorneys in the collection and analysis of forensic evidence and has instructed and trained pharmaceutical companies on contamination control. He has over 35 professional presentations in the areas of forensic science and pharmaceutical science while being active in publications, including authoring a text book and contributing to several others. David is also active in policy development as a NIJ grant peer reviewer and member of several policy committees such as SWGMAT and other forensic steering committees.
In addition to his forensics background, for the past 18 years, David has focused on transferring forensic testing methodologies across industry boundaries utilizing forensic methodologies to investigate particle contamination and materials characterization for major pharmaceutical and fortune 500 companies. He has overseen the successful implementation of several GMP laboratory facilities and has worked with his team to achieve successful FDA audits, ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 accreditations.
- Scanning electron microscopy/energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM/EDS)
- Light microscopy
- Fluorescence microscopy
- X-ray diffraction (XRD)
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Chemical imaging
- Raman spectroscopy
- Expertise also includes experience in implementation of ASTM and USP testing methods
- M.S., Forensics Science; University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1995
- B.A., Biology; Slippery Rock University, 1993
Professional Affiliations and Accolades:
- Diplomate – American Board of Criminalistics
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- Mid-Atlantic Association of Forensic Scientists
- Parenteral Drug Association
- 1999 American Academy of Forensic Sciences Regional Award
- 1999 International Association of Forensic Sciences Emerging Forensic Scientist Continental Award
- Recipient of the National Institute of Forensic Science “Best Paper in a Refereed Journal” 2004